Oh, crêpes! We love them for their versatility. You can have them as breakfast for dinner, dessert, a midnight snack…really any time of the day feels ‘right’. We’ve tried a few darn good crêpe places and were inspired by the amazing flavour profiles of both the sweet and savoury ones. We discovered that a good crêpe batter really is everything! It’s the foundation for enhancing all the other ingredients in the crêpe. Nobody likes a soggy crêpe or an overly crispy one, am I right?
We LOVE this recipe so much and think it’s a great recipe to share with friends and family! It also allows everyone to gather around the kitchen and create their own personalized crêpes to their liking. Good excuse for a crêpe party, if you ask us 😉
Useful cooking tools: Offset spatula and crêpe pan. A non-stick regular pan will also work, but the crêpe pan will ensure a neat circular crêpe. The offset spatula will allow you to flip the crêpe a lot easier than using a regular spatula.
Crêpe Batter (makes about 6 9.5″ crêpes)
Recipe from unknown source. It’s the ‘go-to’ crêpe batter recipe Ricelessasian’s family uses.
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup milk (whole milk, 1%, 2%, or skim milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp lemon zest
Note: For a sweet crêpe variation, add a little bit of sugar, about 1 tsp. We usually don’t add sugar to the crêpe batter when we use a sweet filling because this batter tastes good enough :).
- Blend all the ingredients in a food processor. Blend just until all the ingredients are fully incorporated; don’t over mix.
- Refrigerate the batter for at least 1 hour. This is an important step, so don’t skip this part.
- Grease crêpe pan with oil or butter and heat over medium heat. Once the crêpe pan is hot enough, pour the crêpe batter. Spread the crêpe batter into the pan with a swirling motion. Do this quickly as the crêpe batter will cook very fast once it hits the pan.
- Allow the crêpe to cook in the pan. When the corners of the crêpe are starting to separate from the pan, flip the crêpe using the offset spatula. Add crêpe filling.
- Fold the crepe using the offset spatula and serve on a plate.
Crêpe batter can be refrigerated for 1-2 days.
Crêpe filling Ideas
Veggie savoury crêpe: mozzarella cheese, grape tomatoes, baby spinach, salad dressing
The mozzarella cheese melts beautifully into the the hot crêpe! The crêpe was drizzled with homemade salad dressing.
Matchachoco’s ‘go-to’ salad dressing :
Combine 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard, and 1 tbsp liquid pasteurized honey. Add some lemon zest for better flavour.
Savoury breakfast crêpe: Add scrambled eggs.
Sweet Nutella crêpe: Spread Nutella over hot crêpe and add sliced bananas. Drizzle folded crêpe with Nutella and top with French vanilla ice cream.
Note: We found that cooled crêpes dry out faster when they were made with skim milk. For better results, use whole, 1% or 2% milk.